Friday 25 February 2011

First Post

It's taken several months of thinking about doing this to finally take the plunge and just do it.
I have followed a number of lovely blogs over the past few years, some of which have inspired me and motivated me to do things I wouldn't have contemplated before. A lot that I look at, I look at simply because they are colourful, beautiful and brighten up my day. Others have been informative, interesting or amusing.

What will mine be? Well, the first reason for doing this, if I am honest is because I am working towards peddling some of my crocheted creations and setting up an etsy shop. From a bit of research it looks like having an etsy shop and a blog go hand in hand.

It's not just about that, though, I like the idea of having a record of things with pictures, but I'm terrible at keeping a diary, doing this might discipline me to regularly write something (it might not).
Other people's blogs have encouraged me to revisit creativity, something I left behind me many years ago. Lucy's blog http://attic24.typepad.com/ a few years ago had me rushing urgently to the local yarn shop to buy a stash of yarn and a crochet hook then teaching myself how to crochet. I had a deadline to meet at the time, so really needed another distraction. Since then I have become slightly addicted and have an expensive yarn habit. I don't expect that selling my stuff will mean I can give up my day job, but if it helps pay for the habit that would be a start.

My lovely neighbour has a blog that I contributed to for a very short while, http://becomingdomestic.co.uk/ in fact we initially made contact through her blog a few years ago before we ended up being neighbours in Cornwall and then moved here together where our families rent next door homes and share some land and gardens. I have "met" some lovely people online through blogs, including the lovely Sue http://thequincetree65.blogspot.com/ who I used to correspond with via another website, lost touch with and then discovered her blog and an uncannily similar taste for things lovely and crocheted.
I have also met (in the conventional way) some people over the past few years via the internet who have become real friends.

At the same time I have mixed feelings about blogging, I'm quite private, why would I want everyone to be able to read my ramblings, more to the point, why would anyone want to read my ramblings? I don't know. There is another blog post in this for another time.

I don't know what direction this will take, I want to blog about crochet, simple, mundane domestic stuff, being frugal  and anything else that pops up, this will probably change and evolve.

You are welcome to join me on my adventures.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the bonkers world of blogging and having a window into your world on the web. I loved reading your first post and hope you write many more with pictures too. Congrats! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, neighbour. It's a bit odd, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen, I'm also a doubtful blogger but it does kind of grow on you. It's always lovely to see that other take pleasure in the simple things. My blog grew initially from my discovery of amigurmi, but I do post about other things too - life, the universe and everyhing! If you would like to pay me a visit you would be very welcome.
    isitatoy.blogspot.com
    Aisha

    ReplyDelete